English to Speakers of Other Languages
The Taylor County School System is committed to offering a program of instruction to students of limited English proficiency who meet the guidelines as established by State Board of Education Rule 160-4-6-02.
The purpose of the program is to assist students in developing proficiency in the English language, including listening, speaking, reading, and writing at the current assigned grade level.
The Taylor County School System provides special language assistance through one or more of the following delivery models:
1) Pull-out (student meets one-on-one or in a small group with ESOL teacher)
2) Inclusion (ESOL teacher sits with student in class in and facilitates instruction)
3) A scheduled period
4) Before/after school tutoring
ESOL services will be provided by teachers who are highly qualified and have obtained approved endorsement or certification in Georgia. However, a teacher may be selected to work with students if the following conditions are met:
1) currently enrolled in ESOL courses for certification.
2) has applied for a non-renewable ESOL Endorsement certificate.
3) has been recommended by principal to work with EL’s.
Students who are served in the Taylor County School System’s City ESOL program may exit based on the following:
Usually, students will continue to be monitored (EL-M) even after meeting the exit criteria above.
Andrew Britt, ESOL Coordinator